Tuesday 26 July 2011

Dry Embossing

Emboss simply means to raise something.  In craft we emboss in several different ways.  The term dry embossing refers to using a stylus and a stencil, a scoring tool & ruler or an embossing system like the Big Shot with various patterned embossing folders.   The latter being the simplest - and the most effective.

We make the distinction of "dry" embossing because in papercraft, heat embossing is very widely used so to simply say "emboss" can be confusing.

I was using up scraps last night from the leftovers of a creative session and here's what I made;



The size of this first card was determined by the dry embossed piece I had leftover.  I used the Petals a Plenty die with the Big Shot.   Can you see how the DSP is embossed as well?   I stuck it to the cardstock before running it through the Big Shot so that both ends have that lovely raised finish.   Because there's a pinch point in the embossing folders - and it doesn't matter which end of the folder, you basically get a little ridge around the edges - I used the ribbon to cover it up.....cheeky, eh?    To add some glam, the Dazzling Diamonds were adhered using a glue pen. 

Here's another angle that may show the glitter a little better.



Supplies:  Stamp Set: Well Scripted.
Cardstock:  Sahara Sand, Pacific Point
DSP: Blueberry Crisp
Ink:  Night of Navy
Wide oval punch, Petals a Plenty EBF & Big Shot, Colour Spritzer & Sponge
Dazzing Diamonds


This next card has two types of dry embossing.




Can you pick them?   The DSP was embossed as was the flower using the Big Shot.  It may be hard to see on the paper because I've used the negative, or the side that is pushed in.   The second type of dry embossing was done with a scoring system - I can't name it because it's not SU and we don't currently have them (I wish we did, it's great!). 

I didn't have any brads or buttons in the right red and it really needed the colour introduced a second time to look balanced.  So, I used my Crop-a-dile to punch 3 small circles of cardstock 3/8" each and carefully stuck them to the card with a glue pen.   Then I topped each one with Crystal Effects.  I had intended for them to look shiny, but then I sprayed it all with the spritzer so my CE has a matt finish.


Supplies Used: 
Cardstock: Riding Hood Red, Not Quite Navy, Bashful Blue, Sahara Sand
DSP: Blueberry Crisp
Ink:  Not Quite Navy - in the Colour Spritzer tool
Petals a Plenty, Flower Burst Embosslit & Big Shot
Linen Thread, Crystal Effects.
Ribbon is not available in Not Quite Navy so I pleated a piece of cardstock instead.


Happy crafting.  Leave me a comment - I love reading them!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thank you for stopping by.