Saturday 15 May 2021

Step It Up With The Color & Contour Stamp Set

This is my second attempt at this post, because the first one was deleted by Blogger, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.  I guess that's technology for you.  Crafting is so much more straightforward!

Anyway, I'm here to show you a step-it-up technique that is great if you want different options for the same overall design.  It's a bit like baking.  Sometimes you want an easy ready-made sponge cake with jam and cream, and other times you crave a homemade recipe with layers, and then for special occasions you go all out with fresh berries and deliciously good frosting!

I first learned to Step-It-Up from my upline, Veronica Riddle, when we were living in San Diego.  She would encourage us to look at our card creations and see if there was a way to step it up and add interest.  Similarly, if we had a very "busy" design we would try to simplify it to showcase one or two elements only.

Interestingly, this was a topic in our weekly demonstrator-only communication from Stampin' Up! and it resonated with me, so this is what I did:

Casual

To make this casual card, stamp the solid flower and leaf images (Color & Contour Stamp Set) in the ink colours you like directly onto Basic White cardstock.  I chose Blushing Bride, Paly Papaya, Daffodil Delight and Mint Macaron.  Overlay the greeting in a darker ink like Evening Evergreen.  Layer onto a piece of Evening Evergreen cardstock (or your fav choice).  Attach a small piece of coordinating ribbon to the back of the layer so it peeps out to draw the eye towards the sentiment.  Attach to your card base.

Avid

Step this card up by adding dimension to the flowers using an outline stamp in a darker ink - I chose Polished Pink (stamped off first on grid paper), Calypso Coral and Crushed Curry.  I used an aqua painter and Mint Macaron Classic Ink to add colour to the leaves, and the little dotty spotty background randomly stamped around the flowers.  Change up the ribbon my tying a simple knot.

Artfully Avid

My artfully avid card features the additional embellishments - a ladybug and some Genial Gems.  I also made a bow out of the ribbon and added it to the top corner of the card to take the eye across and down the design.  Add coordinating strips of Hand Penned Designer Series Paper to further frame the main panel.

If you'd like to have a go at this technique, start with the casual card as a basic overall design and see if you can step it up too.

Happy Crafting :)
Karen

Products Used:
Color & Contour Stamp Set #154994
Blushing Bride Classic Ink #147100
Polished Pink Classic Ink #155712
Pale Papaya Classic Ink #155670
Calypso Coral Classic Ink #147101
Daffodil Delight Classic Ink #147094
Crushed Curry Classic Ink #147087
Mint Macaron Classic Ink #147106
Evening Evergreen Classic Ink #155576 & Cardstock #155575
Hand Penned Designer Series Paper #155499
Basic White Cardstock #159228
Genial Gems #155500
Ladybug Trinkets #154299 (Mini Catalogue)
Ribbon - from my supplies (retired)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thank you for stopping by.